Ship Reporting CG Meeting 9 Minutes

Ship Reporting CG Meeting 9

June 4th, 2019

 

Meeting Summary

 

Participants

Bergmann Marine, Fred Pot, Secretary

Chartworld, Konstantin Ivanov

Fulcrum Maritime Systems Limited, Martin Melville

 

Report on the IALA WG2 Ship Reporting TG Call on May 28th

Fred was asked by the TG to draft a new description of the task of IALA ARM WG2 Ship Reporting Task Group. It currently reads:

 

Develop Guideline on ship reporting from the shore‐side perspective.

Expected outputs:

  1. Ship Report Template Registry specifications and governance;
  2. Guideline on ship reporting tools;
  3. Minimum cyber security requirements for sharing ship report information;
  4. Guidance on migration from current ship reporting system to a harmonised and secure electronic system;

 

Since we decided to use a portal with links to shore-based authorities’ webservices rather than a central Ship Report Template Registry Database, the task description needs to be updated.

 

Fred was also asked by the TG to develop an action plan for a survey of shore-based authorities on their plans for implementing electronic ship reporting systems. We probably will need to individually contact shore-based authorities and get endorsement from IHMA, IMO, IALA, ICS and possibly others. IMO FAL has a contact list of shore that we should be allowed to use. Funding for the survey has yet to be found.

 

Fred was also asked by the TG to draft a plan for the next steps in the development of the electronic ship reporting service and consider the results of SRCG Member Preferences as they were expressed in responses to the survey.

 

Fred will submit all of these via e-mail to SRCG Members for comment before they are presented to IALA WG2 Ship Reporting TG Members on July 9th. SRCG Members will be requested to comment on these drafts as soon as they receive them.

 

 

Results of the Preference Survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-BYJMH9C6V/

These results were presented to the IALA ARM WG2 Ship Reporting Task Groupon during the May 28th conference call. 7 SRCG Members responded to the survey. This makes the results indicative of the preferences of all SRCG Members.

 

  1. Survey of Shore-Based Authorities

SRCG Members endorsed the need for a survey but made clear that it should be funded by another entity.

 

  1. On-Line Portal for Shore-based Authority Webservice URL’s

SRCG Members prefer a secure on-line portal with links to shore-based authorities’ webservices rather than an S-127 layer in the ENC. I interpret that to mean that at least initially a portal should be used but that at a later stage it may still be desirable to also set up an S-127 layer for this purpose.

 

During the call we discussed governance of the portal. Fred indicated that governance has yet to be established but that, in is draft for the next steps in the development of the electronic ship reporting system (see above), he will propose several options. One of them would be for IALA to assume ownership of the portal.

 

  1. Ship to Shore-based Authority Direct

SRCG Members endorsed designing the electronic ship reporting system for direct ship to shore-based authority interaction using web services rather than inserting a third party “Ship Reporting Service Provider” between ships and shore-based authorities.

 

  1. Lead -time for Ship Reporting Requirement Changes

SRCG Member responses on this issue were all over the map. Fred will (arbitrarily) use 6 months as the minimum lead-time for changes in reporting requirements.

 

Contributions to Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Fred requested funding for travel expenses associated with attending the IALA ARM10 Committee Meeting in Saint Germain en Laye October 14-18, 2019. SRCG Members will be asked to contribute €350 by October 1st

 

Originally the plan was to attend not only ARM10 but also ENAV24 and VTS47 but the electronic ship reporting system is still in a very early stage of its development. It is too early to start to involve the ENAV and VTS Committees.

 

Next Call

We decided to schedule the next call (SRCG10) in September. Fred will send out a GoToMeeting invitation in August.

 

Best Regards

 

Fred Pot

Secretary

Ship Reporting CG

+1-206-850-7664 Mobile

fred.pot@bergmann-marine.com

www.srcg.bergmann-marine.com